To John P. Capitalist’s mention of my post on Fortress Scientology, I have also called it “Monastery Scientology” to relate the same concept. Here is my March 11, 2008 post at xenu.nethttp://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/v…
1. The US economy is in tough shape and so discretionary consumer spending has plunged.
2. In real economic terms, Scientology can be easily seen as a high priced luxury consumer item. As spending has tightened at the consumer level, Scientology has seen a downturn in sales of its overpriced luxuries along with companies such as Sharper Image, which just filed for bankruptcy.
3. Based on what all of us are hearing from our various sources, it appears that Scientology has experienced a heavy downturn in sales to its middle class parishioners. Factor in a tidal wave of bad PR, and the Cult is on the ropes. What I have seen is that Flag and the CC’s have callously reacted to the downturn by restructuring their delivery of services around wealthy Scientology consumers who can afford their Scientology addiction even in a bad economy. I see this as the inevitable future of Scientology at the Org level.
This is Scientology in PT. If I were DM, I would use the following strategy to handle my many problems:
4. I entrench Scientology as a religion focused exclusively on the super-wealthy and the famous. This customer base is Scientology’s strength. What are the things that the insecure wealthy and the insecure famous covet? They covet their privacy and huge amounts of exclusive attention that is all about them. Scientology excels at offering such services. Scientology’s wealthy members are willing to pay for Premium Mind Control while the masses must settle for the mediocre fear dished out for free by the media. Seriously, politicians and the capitalistic media have kept their finger on the panic button for far too long. Either get the goddamned Apocalypse over with or drop the subject.
5. Scientology is radioactive in its present state. The Cult had a core meltdown on Feb 29, 2008 or thereabout.
5A. Scientology is now the religious equivalent of radioactive waste.
6. Assuming that I am DM, I am now living in a radioactive religious wasteland where the only protection is offered is by money. Therefore, I make two key decisions:
6A. I decide to take Scientology off the radar for at least three years in order for the radioactive slag heap to cool down. Talk about prophecy come true: Scientology just went through Incident II in PR terms. The Cult has been laid to waste. It is that dire.
6A. As DM, I have built a resort-based religion that caters to the egos of the wealthy. My resorts and steaming ship are paid for, so all I need to do is to let my interest and services delivered pay my overhead for a few years while I let things cool down on the PR front. This is a tactical retreat, because I cannot win the war right now. My group cannot take any more exposure to truth. For the sake of my group and its members, we must, in effect, go underground in this time of internet persecution. By becoming victims, we win. An Underground movement is inherently chic in this media age.
6B. I immediately end all European operations and cede the Continent to the Psychs. I retreat to the Big Island and let Europe be run out of Saint Hill. This is part of my larger plan to put Scientology into isolation.
6C. I reverse Scientology’s historic course and stop all PR. I get off the internet big time. I go to a secure website for general dissem. All other data is delivered by US phones or US mail. In the US, phones and mail are federally protected. The critics can’t hack my phones or my mail or they get to go to the assrape prison they all want to see me in, i.e. assuming I am DM.
6D. Low Tech suddenly looks very good as I revert to OT Phone Trees and the use of snail mail.
7. I open my resorts only to those who can afford my asking prices, and I will not lower those prices. I create the first Scientology Diaspora by turning away from Scientology Orgs all those who cannot pay.
7A. For those who cannot pay for my ultra-exclusive Orgs, I go to a home-based and mission-based system to delivery of Scientology. Yes, I know that I, assuming I am DM, ruined this in 1982, but now I see its gentle wisdom and its ability to compete directly with the Free Zone groups.
7B. People who need advanced services and cannot afford my Orgs, do not get to become OT’s. You heard that right: Being OT is now a privilege reserved only for the able, where ability is defined as money. If you want to become an OT, go find a way to get wealthy, or, join the SO at my resort Orgs. If you join my SO, you will get a special level called SO OT.
As SOOT, you get special privileges that are essentially equivalent to more work. No one ever said being SOOT was easy. It is dirty work.
If DM can get 1,000 wealthy Scientologists per year to spend $50,000 USD each on Scientology, he has made $50,000,000 in tax free money.
If DM can get 4,000 middle class Scientologists to spend $25,000 USD each on Scientology, he has made $100,000,000 in tax free money.
That is the simple way for DM to make $150,000,000 in tax free cash. That is a boatload of money. DM’s overhead is what? Maybe $50,000,000 a year for global operations? DM pay his slaves in Sea Org and Staff
maybe $40 a week plus a bunk and meals?
If I am DM and can keep 5,000 people per year engaged in my new Monastery Scientology, I will survive forever. I will have also cogged on behalf of the group that the internet is a scary place and I will therefore keep Scientology off it forever. After all, the internet critics cannot attack that which they cannot find online.
1950 has never looked so beautiful.
While I agree with John P. Capitalist’s analysis in the main, the only place I differ is that I rank Scientology as having a very high potential for a ruinous quantum event occurring. This is because Scientology is inherently self-destructive. Scientology is reactionary as opposed to being strategic. As a reactionary group, Scientology makes extremely bad decisions.
What passes for strategy in Scientology is a pointless program of real estate acquisition and the renovation of acquired real estate. Example, while the Cult paid $45,000,000 for the old KCET lot + ~$10,000,000 in improvements, Scientology did not get KCET’s broadcast license; this was a critical failure in terms of strategy. A better negotiator would have seen KCET was on the ropes and threw in some more money to get the broadcast license. However, Miscavige was afraid to actually go after the license as he knows that the burden of actually broadcasting at that level, i.e. meeting the FCC requirements for a license to broadcast in the public interest, is something Scientology simply is not up to and cannot deliver. For this reason, Miscavige acquired SMP, sunk money into it, and then waited almost two years to announce what? That his ~$55,000,000 SMP investment resulted in purchasing time on Spectrum cable? Miscavige didn’t need to spend ~$55,000,000 to buy time on cable when he has a world class production studio at Gold Base. Miscavige’s petty politics of punishing Gold Base drove him to sink ~$55,000,000 into the non-performing SMP lot.
Scientology’s eminent mediocrity on social media shows the discontinuity between Scientology and Culture. Specifically, for Scientology to pay for ads on Twitter and FB promoting its hate websites is a horrible decision. The ads scream, “We in Scientology are a Cult and are every bit as horrible, hateful, spiteful, and vindictive as they say we are and here is the proof: Our hate websites on Leah, Mike, Karen, Amy, Tom De Vocht, Chris Shelton, Jefferson Hawkins, Marc and Claire, and many other people.”
The Church of Scientology does not see that these attack websites are purely reactionary and vile. Scientology does not see how these self-incriminating cesspools of hatred are damning evidence against the Church. These hate websites are nothing more than the digital version of the Squirrel Busters and we saw how well the Squirrel Busters worked out in Texas.
Scientology keeps digging its own grave deeper.
A few final points:
1. Three billion dollars is not that much money. When the IRS moves, and it will, the Cult can spend as much as it wants but that misses the point. There will be very narrow questions that Scientology cannot spend its way out of.
2. Scientology is not a bulwark of anything except David Miscavige’s incredible viciousness, bad judgment, and incompetence. And yes, Miscavige is following Hubbard whose management policies are horrible.
3. The IAS fiddles while Rome burns. Scientology can spend money on PR and IAS galas, but the Cult still refuses to own up to Fair Game, Disconnection, breaking up families, using Sea Org slave labor, using child labor, and engaging in the systematic financial destruction of its public rank and file.
4. Scientology is so bad that Mr. Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam refuse to identify as Scientologists. Mr. Farrakhan knows how to read the tea leaves. The Nation of Islam keeps David Miscavige and Scientology at arms length. This is why there is no known photo of Mr. Farrakhan and Mr. Miscavige together. Mr. Farrakhan does not wish to be seen with David Miscavige.